Younglove Genealogy 
Your Subtitle text

Octagon House
Younglove Descendants Still Reside in Pleasant Valley

September 11, 1955 Hammondsport, NY
Local Newspaper Community News, No. 24
A motorist passing down the back road into Hammondsport can hardly fail to see a solid house, which stands well above the highway almost at the edge of the village. The house impresses the passerby because of its massive permanence and its unusual design. Inquiry soon establishes the fact this is the Younglove homestead, built by Timothy Younglove almost a century ago on a design, which has become known as the octagon house.

The name of Younglove was associated with Pleasant Valley, in which this house stands, almost from the time the first settlers carved fields out of the wilderness. Corneilus Younglove, father of the builder of this house, was among the first dozen men to move their families into the valley and establish permanent homes. And the persistence of the Younglove blood is attested by the fact a descendant of Corneilus is still living in the imposing house his son Timothy built.

It was nearly 160 years ago in the spring of 1793 to be exact, that William Aulis of Reading Pa., and son Thomas first pushed over the ridge from Bath and sighted the snug bowl between the hills where nestles the end of Lake Keuka. To them this seemed a "Pleasant Valley" a name which later became attached to this land. They pitched a tent about a mile south of the lake, cleared an acre of land by cutting the brush and burning it, then planted corn, which yielded 60 bushel from the slightly cultivated acre.

Aulis and his son returned to Reading to eventually come back with his entire family and worldly good loaded in a two-horse wagon. Meanwhile, during the fall when Aulis returned to Reading, Richard Baker, Samuel Daniels and Amos Stone, three men who came originally from a place called North River on the Hudson, followed the trail of Aulis into Pleasant Valley. These three with their families took up farms and were shortly followed to the valley by William and Eli Read, Captain John Faulkner and James and Abram Brundage. Fourteen years later in June 1807, Corneilus Younglove came to the valley and bought the farm of John Faulkner who, in turn took up land about halfway between lake and Bath.

Corneilus Younglove built a house on the east side of the road, which has now disappeared. He had come to Steuben County from his birthplace in New Jersey where he married Hannah Bartlett who bore him a fine crop of eight children. The son, Timothy, whose line has come down to the present in the Hammondsport area, was born in 1814. Before his death Corneilus deeded the farm to Timothy, who became an extensive grower of grapes and tobacco.

Timothy was a surveyor as well as a farmer and surveyed the Bath and Hammondsport plank road, which at one time carried heavy loads of produce from the Cohocton Valley to the headwater of Lake Keuka from which canal boats took grain through the canal system to the cities of central New York. Timothy married Matilda White, who bore him four children including, Oliver White Younglove and a pair of twins, Emma and Ellen. The twin Emma married Dr. Herman E. Ainsworth and spent all of her adult life in Addison where the doctor practiced until his death about 1915. James Park of Batavia is a direct descendant of Corneilus Younglove through the latter's grand-daughter Emma Ainsworth.

Oliver White Younglove was born in 1846. His daughter Belle, the eldest, married and became the mother of Mrs. Leonard Wood who lives in the staunch homestead on the farm her great, great grandfather bought nearly 150 years ago. Mrs. Wood has three children and six grandchildren, the latest arrivals of which are a pair of twins. Toddlers who will soon be running around on land their great, great, great, great grandfather bought in 1807.

Nor is that the extent of the line back through which Mrs. Wood can trace her ancestry. The first Younglove to come to America was the Rev. Younglove, a Presbyterian minister who arrived in the new world from Sussex England and died in 1690. Mrs. Wood does not have the date of his arrival, but is certain her family has been in the country more than 265 year.

The house Timothy Younglove built above the road to Hammondsport, he built well. According to the author, Carl Carmer, the octagonal house design was drawn first by a former Cohocton farm boy, Orson Fowler, who with his brother won considerable fame as a phrenologist.

Many of these houses are still standing around New York State, built of a variety of materials, but some of the loveliest octagons did not prove to be as permanent as the design had expected.
NOTE: The above article was copied as written. Timothy married Matilda Hoyt not White. Oliver White was Oliver Hoyt Younglove. The correct spelling for Corneilus is Cornelius. Aulis should be Aulls. The first Younglove to come to America was Samuel Younglove; the above-mentioned Rev. was Samuel's son, John, who was born in MA. The arrival date in the new world was 1635. Samuel died in 1689 and son Rev. John died 1708/9. Timothy's daughter Emma married Dr. Herman Reeve Ainsworth.

Page date: 14 Oct 2002
Article courtesy of Robert Younglove
Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Updated 2013

Cornelius and Wife Hannah Bartlet Younglove(6)

Cornelius Younglove(6)  Joseph(5)
Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)


Cornelius was the son of Joseph and Azubah Skinner Younglove(5). He was born March 1772 at New Brunswick, NJ. He died Sept 1856 at Hammondsport, NY. Cornelius (6) who was a stonecutter went to Arlington, VT as a partner of his brother Aaron (6) in the marble business 1800-1802. He then settled at Cambridge NY. In 1802 he moved to Steuben Co.,NY. He married in Feb 1802, Hannah Bartlett who was born in 1780 and daughter of Capt. Samuel and Hannah Meigs Bartlett of Sunderland VT. Cornelius and Azubah Skinner Younglove (6) had eight children: Aaron, Julia Ann, Samuel B., Joseph, Dugald, Timothy Meigs, Myra,and Cornelius S. In year 1807 he purchased and settled on a farm in Pleasant Valley, near Hammondsport, NY. Cornelius (6) was appointed a Sheriff of Steuben Co. in 1811. In French's Gazetteer Cornelius Younglove is listed as having the first store in Wheeler, Steuben County the year was 1835. He was a farmer and a woolgrower in Steuben County, NY.

Records in the Pulleney Estates at Bath NY show Cornelius Younglove 12 Apr 1815 DAR Vol. 348 pg. 21.
Also listed Cornelius Younglove 1835 Census for Urbana, Steuben Co. NY, taken 10 Nov 1835 DAR Vol. 348 pg. 129.

Pictured above: Cornelius and his wife Hannah Bartlett Younglove(6).
Composite picture.
Picture courtesy of
Leonard Paul Wood. Jr.

Joseph Younglove(5)  Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

The following narrative is about Joseph Younglove (5) who is the father of Cornelius Younglove (6) above:

Source: The record of Dr. David Moses Younglove. (Copied as written.)

"My brother, Joseph Younglove, was born in the year 1743 in the state of New Jersey, where he received a good education, and was a sensible, sprightly man. At the age of 21, he married Azubah Skinner, a pious and amiable young woman.

By Occupation he was a farmer and remained in New Jersey until the year 1772, when he removed with his Father's family to Cambridge, Albany Co. N. Y. where he purchased a tract of land and began building and improving on it; though shortly after he began his improvements, the Revolutionary War commenced. My brother lived four miles west of the town of Cambridge, and ten miles east of Saratoga.

In the year 1777, Burgoyne came on with a large army and descended the Hudson River to the mouth of Battenkill, a stream that puts into the Hudson on the east side and two miles above Saratoga. At that place, Burgoyne ordered Col. Baum to take the command of 600 men and pursue the road leading up Battenkill and through the town of Cambridge to Bennington and capture the American stores at that place, and all the horses that were to be found to remount his Cavalry, having lost a great many of their horses while on the march from Canada. My Brother at this time had a young man living with him by the name of John Manley, who was a brother of our valiant Captain Manley who captured the first British ship in the American Revolution. My brother and Mr. Manley, having heard that Burgoyne had reached Saratoga ten miles west of his house, and that Col. Baum was to pass through Cambridge, four miles east of his home believed it was time to remove the family farther from the enemy Accordingly, they concealed the most valuable of their effects in the woods and put the women and children on horses, and shouldered their guns driving their cattle before them. When they got to the big road in Cambridge they fell in with the rear of Col. Baum's army, composed of British, Hessians, Canadians, Tories & Indians. Gov. Skeen discovering my brother and Mr. Manley with their guns ordered them to be brought before him and inquired their business. My brother replied that his intention was to remove his family and stock to a safer situation. Skeen ordered them to give their guns to two men that were walking without, and to put the family in that house, pointing to one, and to turn the stock in such a field, and consider themselves prisoners of war, and conduct themselves accordingly. As Gov. Skeen turned from them, they shoved their guns under an old house and proceeded to place the family and stock according to Skein's orders. British sentinels were placed in front of the house, and the family, men women and children, had to compose themselves the best way they could; trusting providence for the event. In the dead time of night, my brother and Mr. Manley discovered an open way through the back part of the house, through which they conducted the family, unperceived by the sentinels, and secured them as well as they could in the woods. Then they got their horses and tied them near the family and then got their guns, and went to their cattle and got hold of the one, which had on the bell, and tied a cloth round the clapper, and turned them out into the woods. The cattle started for their home, and my brother and Mr. Manley put the women and children on the horses and returned to their home without seeing any of the enemy. This was about August 1777.

The battle of Bennington was fought on the 16th. of August 1777. My brother and Manley tarried at home with the family and could hear the battle raging, being only 10 miles distant from my brother's house; but they did not know how it terminated until the second night after the battle. My father, then being 60 years old, ventured in a dark night, thought the woods, along a small path to find out what had become of his son, Joseph and family. He got there around midnight and found them all well and gave them an account of the battle, about which they all had a great rejoicing.

My brother then removed his family to Mapletown, four miles west of Bennington, where they remained until after the capture of Burgoyne, after which they returned home. My brother was a warm friend to the cause of liberty, and did all in his power to support it. When the War of the Revolution was happily closed; he gave his attention to the cultivation of his farm. He was a Justice of the Peace in the county, in which he lived, and also filled other useful offices, He lived to raise five children, two sons and three daughters. Aaron, Cornelius, Elizabeth, Hannah and Polly. All respectable. His oldest son, Aaron Younglove, acted for several years as a member of the Legislature, and was also a member of the Senate in the state of New York. My brother was a kind husband, a tender father, and a good and friendly neighbor. He died May 30, 1810 at about 70 years of age, respected by all that knew him, and was buried at the Steeple meetinghouse in Cambridge, by the side of his father. Thus ends the narrative of Joseph Younglove, February 13th. 1844".

From Samuel Younglove(5) Journal and Supplements. (Copy on file.)


Joseph Younglove(5)

Will of Joseph Younglove(5) was made August 20, 1808 and was probated April 11, 1810.

His sons Aaron and Cornelius inherited his wearing apparel. His wife inherited all household goods, a horse, a cow, and ample firewood for use during her lifetime. After Cornelius died his estate and property was ordered to be sold. His wife Azubah was to receive one third of the interest yearly on the proceeds of this estate and, if not sufficient, could draw on the principal. Out of the remaining two thirds, his grandson Aaron, son of Joseph, was to receive 60 dollars when he became 21 years old. His five children and his granddaughter Azubah Boyd, wife of William Boyd, were to divide the remainder as follows: Aaron, Cornelius, Hannah, wife of William McCraken, Mary, wife of Azariah Conger, all one fifth part. Elizabeth, wife of Thomas McKillip two thirds of a fifth part and her daughter Azubah Boyd one third of a fifth part. His daughter Elizabeth McKillip's share was to be given at the discretion of the executors (as long as her present husband shall live) for her comfort and need. If her husband should die, she was to receive the whole amount. If she were to die, the remainder was to be divided amongst her children excepting Azubah Boyd. After the death of Joseph's wife Azubah Younglove, any proceeds or property remaining from Joseph's will was to be sold and put to interest. It was to be divided in the same manner as the rest of the estate. Executors were Joseph's son Aaron and William C. McLean. Witnesses were John McLean, R Wilson and Ruben Wilson Jr. Surrogate was Edward Savage.

Page date 15 Oct 2002.  Updated 26 Nov 2013


Timothy Meigs & Wife Matilda Hoyt Younglove(7)

Timothy Meigs Younglove(7)  Cornelius(6)  Joseph(5)
Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2) Samuel(1)

Timothy was born in the year 1814 at Hammondsport, NY. He received a good education in the common schools in the area. He took up surveying at the age of 19, which he followed until 1889.

Timothy lived with his parents and cared for them until their death. His mother died in 1852 at the age of 71 yrs 11 mos. and it was just 4 years later that his father Cornelius who had lived on this farm since he had settled there in 1807 passed away at the age of 83 yrs. 6 mos.

Cornelius deeded the farm to Timothy while he was still living. Cornelius's business was farming in a general way but wool growing a specialty. Timothy continued with the wool growing until the grape growing became an important business when he embarked in that and reduced the number of sheep until 1882 when he disposed of the last and quit wool growing. About 1880 he began tobacco culture, another farming specialty.

Timothy helped form the Pleasant Valley Wine Cellar in the year 1860 along with John F. Weber, C.D. Champlin, Joseph Masson and 8 others. This business was located about a half mile up the road from the octagon house. It was in the year 1888 that Timothy Meigs Younglove (7) along with his son Oliver Hoyt Younglove (8) started the Monarch Wine Co. They had a stone building besides the Monarch wine Co. building for an office and they were both built next to the octagon house on Younglove property. Timothy was president of the company for several years and later his son took over the operation.

In 1859 at the age of 45 he built the Octagon house in Pleasant Valley, Hammondsport, N.Y. The house consisted of just the main octagon part, and then two additions were added later in 1882. The carpenters who worked on the house were Henderson, Halsey S. Edwards, Moore, and Tucker. The masons were Snow and Craig, painters were Charles Hoyt, Henry Jacobus, and Purdy, and Keeler did the plumbing. Each of the eight sides on main house measures 20 ft in width and each addition is 25 ft x 20 ft. Height of house is 20+ ft. Number of rooms at time both extensions were completed were 19 plus 3 halls. Timothy lived in this house till his death in 1892.

Timothy married Matilda Hoyt of Reading, Schuyler Co., NY in 1839. Matilda is the daughter of Oliver and Sallie (Jones) Hoyt. She was born 1839. Timothy and Matilda had three daughters and one son; Myra, twins Ellen and Emma and Oliver Hoyt Younglove.

Timothy Meigs Younglove(7) supported the Democrats in his political beliefs, and in religion, an Episcopalian, and at the time of his death he was warden of St. James church. He was a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Urbana Lodge and Bath Chapter.

Information was taken from the Journals of Timothy Meigs Younglove(7) The Journals, which are in the possession of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.; American Ancestry volume IV and other family sources.

Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Composite picture of Timothy Meigs and Matilda Hoyt Younglove.
Page date 15 Oct 2002.  Updated 27 Nov 2013

Landmark Razed

Members of Hammondsport's newly-organized Junior League have torn down the barn, pictured above, on the Bath - Hammondsport road, to use the lumber for bleachers and dugouts. The barn is believed to have been built by Timothy M. Younglove. Present owners of the property are Mr. and Mrs. L. Paul Wood.

Old Barn Being Razed as Junior Look Project


HAMMONDSPORT - Another landmark has been removed from the rural scene - a large barn, which remained throughout its entire "life" in the hands of one family, has been torn down by Hammondsport's newly organized Junior League for the lumber - and so the barn will "live on" - just in a different form - one of dugouts and bleachers.

The structure located on the Bath-Hammondsport road with the word "Younglove" and "1885" etched into its roof was originally two barns; the first being built in 1885 and at right angles to the main road. From papers found in the Octogan house which accompanied the barn the Younglove family of today, Mr. and Mrs. L. Paul Wood and Mr. Wood's mother Mrs Leonard Wood (Virginia Younglove) have come to the conclusion that both barns were built by Timothy M. Younglove, son of the first Cornelius Younglove who settled in the Pleasant Valley area about 1807.

When the second barn was built in 1895, the first barn was moved down the land a piece and attached to it. When the barns were built the original homestead which was to the left of the barns facing toward Bath, was still standing. However, Timothy Younglove had in 1859, built an Octogan House, and lived in it across and "up" the road.

Timothy was engaged in general farming and wool raising until grape farming became an important business in the area during the closing years of the 19th century. By 1882 he had disposed of the last of his sheep. Then began tobacco culture and continued with grapes. His son, Oliver Hoyt Younglove, next owner of the farm, continued with grape growing. The farm always remained in the family; from Oliver Younglove it passed to his granddaughter, Virginia Stratton Wood and thence to the present Mr. and Mrs. Wood. The young Woods say that a small part of the old barn will remain to be rebuilt into a smaller barn. Thus, a small part of a 75 year-old edifice will be preserved - at least for a time.

Note: Copied as written. This article appeared in a local New York Paper.
The date of either publication or the Newspaper is not known.

Page date: 15 Oct 2002
Information reviewed 28 Nov 2013

Article courtesy of Robert Younglove
Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.

Oliver Hoyt Younglove(8)

Family Business Monarch Grape and Wine Company Destroyed by Fire

Winery Destroyed
June 27, 1906.

Thousands of gallons of wine runs in the sewers? nothing saved. The monarch wine cellar, owned by O.H.Younglove, and located little more than a mile from this village (Hammondsport) in Pleasant Valley, was destroyed by fire early last Friday morning. Mrs. Younglove was awakened by the bright light. Flames were then bursting from the interior, and it was impossible to save anything from the building. A large number of the residents of this village responded to the alarm, but could do nothing but witness the destruction of the entire plant. There are said to have been 50,000 gallons of wine stored in the building. The large casks burst one by one and rivers of wine ran into the highway and sewers. The odor of the hot wine was almost overpowering. There was entire absence of wind and the adjoining building on the east, used as a storehouse for wine, was scarcely scorched.

The origin of the fire is unknown. The building was valued at $3000 and was insured for half that amount. Mr. Younglove does not know the exact amount of loss upon wines and the personal property in the building, which will have to be determined from his last inventory and sales since that time. The contents of the safe were uninjured, which included all books of record.

No matter how great the insurance, the loss will be heavy, as the stock of old wines upon which depended shipments for a year or more, was lost. Mr. Younglove is undecided about the future of the business, but it is very probable that he will re-build.

Note: The above article appeared in a newspaper after the fire, the name of the paper is probably Hammondsport Herald. The original building was built in 1888. It was destroyed by fire in the early part of 1900 and was rebuilt but never used as a wine cellar again by the Younglove's.

Oliver Hoyt Younglove's farm consists of 160 acres, on fifty acres of which is a grape vineyard, and he also engaged in the manufacture of baskets, and the output in 1894 was six hundred thousand. He employs about thirty women and sixteen men during the season.

Picture and Newspaper article courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page Date: 15 Oct 2002
Page reviewed 28 Nov 2013

Keeler - Younglove Hardware

Oliver Hoyt Younglove(8) ventured into the hardware business with George H. Keeler. in 1882, he is pictured standing in the door of the establishment on the right hand side. The other men in the picture are unidentified. He remained in the business until 1889 when he sold his share to Keeler. The hardware store was located in Hammondsport NY. If you look into the windows you will see some Sterling stoves and ranges that were available for sale.

Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page Date: 15 Oct 2002
Page reviewed 28 Nov 2013


Oliver Hoyt and Wife Margaret Myrtle Younglove(8)

Oliver Hoyt Younglove(8)  Timothy Meigs(7)  Cornelius(6)
Joseph(5)  Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

Oliver Hoyt Younglove(8) lived with his father in the family homestead, although he went into business with his father establishing the Monarch wine company of which his father was president, his heart was really in his own business of manufacturing grape boxes and making baskets. Oliver was mechanically inclined and loved to tinker. He had a shop on the family homestead where he put in a small portable engine to manufacture grape boxes, he soon outgrew this building and moved the shop up across the creek where he enlarged the manufacturing of the grape boxes and then installed a cider mill, his business went well but he was not to sit idle he then put in a circular saw mill and did quite an extensive business in this adventure. After the fire destroyed the winery Oliver started to remove himself from the wine making industry and sold his grape crops to another company.

Oliver Hoyt Younglove(8), the only son of Timothy Meigs and Matilda Hoyt Younglove, was born 29 Nov 1846. He married Margaret May Myrtle on Sept 13, 1868. Margaret is the daughter of Benjamin and Arabella (Smith) Myrtle. Benjamin and Arabella Myrtle and their family moved to Hammondsport in 1857. Oliver and Margaret May (Myrtle) Younglove had four children, two girls and two boys. Belle the oldest b. 1869, Margaret May b. 1870 Charles Myrtle b. 1873, Timothy K. b 23 April 1887 and died at the age 8 in 1895. Oliver Hoyt Younglove(8) who had a full and prosperous life, died at the family homestead on 25 Feb 1929 at the age of 82.

Picture Courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Composite picture.
Page Date 15 Oct 2002
Page reviewed 28 Nov 2013

Belle Myrtle Younglove(9)

Belle Myrtle Younglove(9)  Oliver Hoyt Younglove(8)  Timothy Meigs(7)
Cornelius(6)  Joseph(5)  Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

Belle Myrtle Younglove(9) was the oldest daughter of Oliver Hoyt and Margaret May (Myrtle) Younglove. She was born 13 June 1869. She married James Brundage Stratton 5 Oct 1897, in Hammondsport NY.

Belle Myrtle died 27 Jan 1900. It was 15 days after giving birth to their only child, a daughter, Virginia Belle Stratton, that Belle Myrtle Younglove died of complications of childbirth at the age of 31 yrs.

The baby daughter who was born on 12 Jan 1900 was raised at the Younglove Homestead by her grandparents Oliver Hoyt and Margaret May (Myrtle) Younglove (8). Bell was 27 when this picture was taken.

Picture Courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page date 16 Oct 2002
Page reviewed 28 Nov 2013


Sisters - May and Belle Younglove

The girls were age 8 and 10 when this picture was taken in 1878.

Picture Courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.



Margaret May Younglove(9)

Margaret May Younglove(9)  Oliver Hoyt(8)  Tim Meigs(7)  Cornelius(6)  Joseph(5)  Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

Margaret May Younglove(9) was the second child of Oliver Hoyt and Margaret Myrtle Younglove she was often called May. She was born 22 Oct 1870. She married Ambrose Warren Hewlett on 18 Sept 1895. They had one child a son Timothy Younglove Hewlett who was born 1896. Margaret May died in 1954 at the age of 83.

Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page Date 16 Oct 2002

Charles Myrtle Younglove(9)

Charles Myrtle Younglove(9)  Oliver Hoyt(8)  Tim Meigs(7)  Cornelius(6)
Joseph(5)  Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

He was born in the Octagon house at Hammondsport, 27 Jan 1873, the son of Oliver H. and Margaret (Myrtle) Younglove(8). He grew up on the Younglove family Homestead and received his early education in the common schools of Hammondsport. He then went to Cornell University where he graduated in the class of 1896. After graduation he went to work for the Westinghouse Manufacturing Company and worked in the Philadelphia office.

In 1899 he married Florence Braemlich, and they had two daughters, Margaret born in 1900 and Rosalie born in 1903. His religious affiliation was with St.James Episcopal church he was an active member and a vestryman for many years.

He retired in 1940 and died in 1947. He was 74 years of age.

Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Date of Picture 20 Dec 1882.
Page Date: 16 Oct 2002

Timothy Knox Younglove(9)

Timothy Knox Younglove(9)  Oliver Hoyt(8)  Tim Meigs(7)  Cornelius(6)
Joseph(5)  Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

Tim was born 23 April 1887 and died at 7 years of age 5 Jan 1895.

This is from his sister's diary:

Tues. Jan 1, 1895
New Years day. At home all day. Tim went out coasting and got more cold. I expected Anna on 3:30 train but she isn't coming until tomorrow. Went to a dance in townhall with Will. He gave me 2 doz. carnations.

Weds. Jan 2, 1895
Tim is worse this morning - sent for the Dr. He came about ten and was afraid Tim had diptheria so Chas and I moved upstairs and we sent word to Emily and Anna not to come. Chas and I went to town in P.M. and Will took a ride with me. Dr came and said it was tonsilitis.

Thurs. Jan 3, 1895
Mama is about sick this morning. Tim had a bad night. Charles went back to Ithaca at noon. I went sleigh riding with Will until 9:15.

Fri. Jan 4, 1895
Mama and Papa were up all night with Tim. He is very bad. I went over to Mrs Retans for some honey. Dr Burleson came and pronounced it diptheria. Dr Alden stayed all night.

Sat. Jan 5, 1895
Mama and I did not go to bed until after one o'clock. Tim is much worse. Today the Dr was here all of the time. Timothy died at 11 o'clock P.M. age 7 - 9 mo. Ada and I stayed up until it was all over with. Quarantine.

Diary excerpts and picture from Leonard Paul Wood Jr.

Virginia Belle Stratton(10)

Virginia Belle Stratton and
Grandmother Margaret Myrtle Younglove

Virginia Belle Stratton(10)  Belle Myrtle Younglove(9)
Oliver Hoyt(8)  Tim Meigs(7)  Cornelius(6)  Joseph(5)
Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

Virginia Belle Stratton(10) born 12 Jan 1900. The daughter of Belle Myrtle Younglove and James Brundage Stratton. After the death of her mother she was raised by her grandparents, Oliver Hoyt and Margaret May (Myrtle) Younglove (8). Upon the death of Oliver Hoyt Younglove she inherited the Younglove Family Homestead. She married 1st. Leonard Paul Wood Sr. 1899-1958 2nd. Harold C. Wood 1898-1977. Leonard and Virginia had children Margaret May Wood, Leonard Paul Wood, and Richard Younglove Wood. Richard Younglove Wood was the last of the Youngloves descendants to be born in the Octagon House.

Leonard Paul Wood Jr. was the last descendant to own the Younglove homestead. He lived in the Octagon House until Sept 4, 1960. After the death of his father Leonard Paul Wood Sr. his mother deeded the house to him and his wife and then his mother moved into Hammondsport Village with her second husband.

Photo courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page Date: 16 Oct 2002

Samuel Bartlett Younglove(7)

Samuel Bartlett Younglove(7)  Cornelius(6)  Joseph(5)
Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

Samuel Bartlett Younglove(7) was the second son of Cornelius and Hannah Bartlett Younglove(6). He was born in Cambridge, Washington Co., NY on 7 June 1807. His father had purchased a farm in Pleasant Valley in Steuben County in 1807 and moved there with the family when Samuel was but a month old.

Samuel married Lydia Jacobus, 27 September 1827. This marriage of 30 years ended when Lydia died on 14 August 1857. Samuel then married for the second time a widow Louisa Wixon.

Samuel settled on a new farm about five miles north of the old homestead in Pleasant Valley on the west side of the old two rod road, being the first farm to overlook the big swamp, which was known as Prattsburg muck lands. He continued there and then sold the farm and returned to the old homestead, where he lived for several years. He then removed to Prattsburgh and lived there about 6 years then in January of 1882 he again went back to the old homestead.

Tim Meigs diaries state "He died a very painful death and was at the end unconscious for 3 days and had the mind of a lunatic." His brother Timothy who was at his side when he died said, "Altho he suffered badly I don't think he realized it and finally when the end came it was quiet and with less effort than it had been to live."

Samuel always seemed to carry a chip on his shoulder, he seemed to think that he was cheated and used by his brother Timothy. If there was a black sheep in the family, it was Samuel. According to his brother Cornelius, Samuel was his own worst enemy and put it best when he said "Why will man put his enemy in his mouth." as Samuel indulged in drinking. But it was Timothy who took him in, cared for him and doctored him in his time of need.

In a letter that Dr. Cornelius wrote to Timothy, he had this to say about his brother Samuel. "What a trial he has been to you and a burden to himself. It does not seem so strange that he must be what he was. It did seem as though he just couldn't be other than "Sam". A most unfortunate, unhappy, miserable man. And just what all that carries with it to those around him."

Samuel died on Monday morning at 7 am on the 21 st. day of February 1887. He never had any children of his own although George Plaisted lived as a young boy with Samuel and Lydia on the Two Rod Road farm. Samuel and George were very comfortable with each other and Sam taught George the ways of farming. They shared work as well as fun. Samuel made sure George got an education in the common school, which he visited from time to time to view George's progress. Samuel willed his property to his brother Dr. Cornelius S. Younglove who was living in California at the time of Sam's death.

Information from diaries of Cornelius(6) and Samuel B.(7) and Timothy Meigs(7), and letters wrote by Dr. Cornelius(7) Younglove. The diaries of Samuel Bartlett Younglove that were copied by Leonard Paul Wood Jr. are for the years 1843-1846. They depict the day-to-day trials and tribulations of pioneer homesteading of Sam and his wife Lydia, their families, friends and neighbors.

Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page Date: 16 Oct 2002

Dr. Cornelius S. and Wife Kate Brundage Younglove(7)

Cornelius S. Younglove(7)  Cornelius(6)  Joseph(5)
Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

Cornelius S. Younglove(7) The 6th son and last child born to Cornelius & Hannah (Bartlett) Younglove(6). Cornelius entered the family on 29 Nov 1824. Cornelius who was raised on the homestead knew the hardships and struggles that his family endured and the work that it took to run the farm as he did his share of the every day chores and like his brother Tim was also a surveyor. Cornelius had a frail constitution. He studied medicine, and began the practice in company with Dr. E. Van Keuren MD in Hammondsport about 1850. Cornelius then removed to Illinois and practiced one year (1854) in Dixon, IL. He then went to Rochester, Minnesota where he continued to practice until about 1863 or 64 when he quit because of his failing health. Cornelius moved to California for his health and it was there that he spent his last days dying on 29 May 1907 at the age of 82 yrs. Cornelius (7) married Kate Brundage second daughter of William Brundage in Wisconsin on 20 October 1856. They had two daughters Emma who was born in 1858 and Alice born in 1860. Diaries of Dr. Cornelius Younglove that have been found and copied by Leonard Paul Wood Jr. are for the years 1846 - 1848. They deal with studies at Geneva under Eber Van Keuren MD. He relates his studies and his experiments in great detail leaving little to the imagination of the reader. I found him a very disciplined, humorous, religious and sometimes a very poetic man, as he had a gift with words.

Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page Date: 16 Oct 2002


Emma and Alice Younglove(8)

Emma and Alice were the only children of Dr. Cornelius and Kate (Brundage) Younglove(7). Emma who was born in 1858 and Alice born in 1860. It is believed that the girls never married and moved to California with their parents. Both girls were school teachers. Alice is known to have died in 1909 in California.

Pictured above is Emma on the left and Alice on the right.
Composite picture.
Pictures Courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page posted:16 Oct 2002

Two Words End 106 Years of Family Tradition


Leonard Paul and Wife Elsie Wagenknect Wood(11)
Last Descendants to Inherit Octagon House

Leonard Paul Wood Jr.(11)  Virginia Belle Stratton(10)  Belle Myrtle Younglove(9)  Oliver Hoyt(8)  Tim Meigs(7)  Cornelius(6)  Joseph(5)  Isaiah(4)  Joseph(3)  Rev. John(2)  Samuel(1)

The Octagon House, which has been in his family for 106 years, has been sold. Leonard Paul Wood Jr.(11) was the last descendent to inherit the house which was built by his great great grandfather Tim Meigs Younglove(7), Leonard inherited the house from his mother Virginia Bell (Stratton) Wood (10) who had in turn inherited from Oliver Hoyt Younglove(8) her grandfather who raised her after her mother died of complications in childbirth. Virginia married Leonard Paul Wood Sr. and after his death she deeded the house to her son Leonard Paul Wood Jr. who was born in the house, and grew to manhood on the Younglove Homestead. When Leonard married he took for his wife, Elsie Wagenknecht they lived in the house next door called the Read home after they were first married in 1946. Upon the death of his father, Leonard and his wife moved back into the octagon house to be with his mother. Later Leonard's mother remarried and moved to Hammondsport village. Leonard and Elsie continued to live in the Octagon house until Sept 4, 1960. The home, which was magnificent in size, boasted a total of 19 rooms and was grand in its day. Now the house, antiquated and in need of repair, has proved to be, cost prohibited for a young family couple's budget, and so it was with heavy heart that the decision was made to sell the Younglove Family Homestead with hopes that someone would buy it and give it the tender loving care that it so desperately needs. However that was not to be. Leonard and his wife Elsie purchased the Read home next door to the octagon house. They rented the octagon house till Nov 23, 1965 then it was sold to Mr. & Mrs. Fred Rosette. Since then it has changed hands a couple of more times and is now owned by Robert Dorsey. The house is up for sale at the present time.

Leonard and his wife worked for the Taylor Wine Co., which was situated near by until their retirement in 1987. The couple have two daughters Kimberly and Judith. Leonard found the diaries of Cornelius(6) and Samuel B.(7) and Dr. Cornelius Younglove(7) in the attic of the octagon house. They were in bad shape and hard to read, in some places newspaper clippings were pasted over the pages covering the original content so that he had to soak off the pasted clippings to get to the original content. He had heard that Timothy Meigs had diaries, and he searched for them, but was unable to find them. A friend talking to Leonard told him that the Timothy Meigs diaries were sold at an auction and he knew who had them. Leonard contacted the person and was able to borrow the diaries to copy. One day when Leonard went to borrow them, the gentlemen told him that they belonged in his family and that he should have them. He then gave Leonard 50 years of Timothy Meigs diaries. Leonard could not believe it. Needless to say he went home a very happy man, even if it was not to the Octagon House.

Picture courtesy of Leonard Paul Wood Jr.
Page Date 16 Oct 2002

If you are interested in more information on the diaries contact me for Leonard's address.

Leonard Paul Wood, Jr.

My Thanks to you, Leonard Paul Wood, Jr. Without your help the story on this family could not have been told. What a legacy you have given to the Younglove family. Thank you, thank you, for sharing the pictures and all the history.  

 Grace Younglove Hudson
Amazing Grace

Since this article was written the house has been sold to a young couple from Cleveland, OH. They are in the process of restoring the house. The house has received Historical Status and has been placed on the Historical Register in the state of New York.
Page date 27 October 2002 

 The house has now been restored to it's orginal glory and is called the Black Sheep Inn located in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State. It is now open to the public as a bread and breakfast. 
You can view the restored house and rooms at http:/

Page update
28 Nov 2013

Elsie Wood


I was sad to receive word that Elsie Wood dear wife of Leonard Wood
passed away on April 8, 2013,
Leonard and Elsie shared life together for 67 Years. 

Page update
5 March 2014